by Levneet Sran
A quick google search defines inflammation as “a localized physical condition in which part of the body becomes reddened, swollen, hot, and often painful, especially as a reaction to injury or infection. Pain is often a response to inflammatory processes in the body, whether localized or generalized. Discomfort caused by inflammation can be reduced in a few different ways.
For the days between your physical therapy sessions, inflammation can be reduced in the comfort of your own home, or in the case of this week’s blog, in your own kitchen! We’ve created a list of foods to avoid- that inflame as well as a list of foods that reduce inflammation. We also included our favorite anti-inflammatory recipe! Physical Therapist, Shannon Zalewski, DPT, says, “It is important to control inflammation, and I believe it is best to try natural means to accomplish this. Diet has a huge impact on raising or lowering pain.”
Foods that can cause inflammation:
1. Sugar and High-Fructose Corn Syrup (soda, candy, juice, cookies, energy drinks)
2. Artificial Trans Fats (french fries, doughnuts, potato chips, margarine)
3. Vegetable and Seed Oils (soybean oil, sunflower oil, corn oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil, safflower oil)
4. Refined Carbohydrates (breads, bagels, pancakes, white rice, white potatoes)
5. Processed Meat (sausages, hot dogs, beef jerky, canned meat, meat sauces, bacon)
Foods and fluids that reduce inflammation:
1. Green Leafy Vegetables (swiss chard, spinach, bok choy, celery, broccoli)
2. Cold Water Fish (tuna, salmon and mackerel)
3. Natural Fat Sources (almonds, walnuts, and extra virgin olive oil)
4. Spices and Herbs (garlic, turmeric, and ginger)
5. Fruits (apples, blueberries, pineapple, tomatoes, and citrus )
Delicious inflammation reducing soup we love!
Performance Physical Therapy is the Sacramento region’s favorite Physical Therapy team. With appointments available within 24 hours, you can book your Physical Therapy, Aquatic Therapy, Hand Therapy and Vestibular Rehabilitation appointment and begin treatment quickly. We proudly serve in four locations: Folsom, Roseville, Rancho Cordova and J street In East Sacramento as well as their surrounding cities such as Midtown, Auburn, Rocklin, Elk Grove, Antelope, and Citrus Heights. Let us help you live your most mobile life and get you back to doing the activities you love.